Ideas for project type
I have learnt many skills this year from planning and research such as primary and secondary research to concept art (perspective, colour, tone and emotion) in pre-production.
In 3D i have learnt how to model, unwrap objects and texture those objects, this ties in to Photoshop in which i texture those objects so Art branches off to concept, 3D and 2D art.
In UE4 i have learnt skills such as lighting, Blueprints and how to bring assets made in 3DS Max into the engine and combine them to make a level.
In audio i have learnt how to mix tracks to make required tracks for environments.
The final project would fit in several places within the production process because it has a wide range of processes due to it being an environment which requires Concept art, 3D art, 2D art, Level design, Engine work and Audio.
Pre-Production: It would fit in here with the planning that is required and then in production with actually creating the assets needed to create the planned project. In the production process, programming would fit in with the Level Designer as they might say that a certain feature that the level designer might want might not be feasible as in spec requirements or just not possible. There would be some post production processes involved in the way of testing and debugging where issues might arise and the testers would have to send it back to the programmers to fix.
What will I need to do post production stages?
I think i will need to test it and debug it if any errors are found and then age rate it, market the product.
- Idea:- Research on what tech is available to make the idea possible
- Mechanics (Dynamic Gravity UE4)
- Grey boxing
- Asset List (relation between assets and audio)
- Level design
- Asset design
- 3D Modelling
- Unreal Engine – Blueprints / C++
Learn new skills/improve skills
I think this will take both, I will need to improve my Unreal skills in the way of lighting and blueprints and improving my concept art skills/audio skills and as for new skills i need to learn hand texturing and c++ in order to complete this project.
I have a base of knowledge on OOP in Java which is helpful but i will also be using a c++ book and tutorials to help improve my skills and for texturing i will watch some tutorials on hand texturing on Udemy and Youtube.
- Paper – So i can jot down ideas and concept pieces quickly and easily
- Art Materials – I need these for concept art.
- Blending sticks
- Computer – So i can model and texture, create audio and use UE4 to create a complete project. –
- Recommended Spec: Hardware
- Windows 7/8 64-Bit
- Quad-core Intel or AMD, 2.5 GHz or fSTER
- 8GB Ram
- DirectX 11 compatible graphics card
- Recommended Spec: Software
- DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)
- Visual Studio 15
- UE4 4.10
- Recommended Spec: Hardware
- Wacom – This i will need for hand texturing.
- 3Ds Max – To create models
- Photoshop – Texture models
- Premiere Pro – Audio (converting)
- Audacity – Make mix tracks – ambience etc
- Gimp – Texturing
- UE4 – Putting the project together to make the environment
- Visual Studio 15 – c++ for custom build of UE4
This helped my because i knew what skills i needed to work on by the list of programs that was required for my project and also beyond the project into work itself because I know what skills I need to prefect and keep working on in order to improve.