The last couple of weeks we have been working on scripts for our bunker, we have been using different items to create different sounds and using audacity to edit everything together.
Firstly i had to write a script and then record it. We also had to think about what extra sounds we would want in our audio logs to make it more believable and to create atmosphere.
The room i am doing for AON is the medical room, the character in my room is a scientist/medic.
I wrote 2 scripts for this character, one on her own and the other with a colleague. The first script gives a back story to the accident that is about to happen and the second script for an audio log is two characters and the accident.
I had an issue trying to record this script as I need two people to make the room’s story be understood. As it was a medical room but also where they were experimenting on the soldier so a scientist had to be present. I had an issue trying to find someone to record the other part in time to implement it into the audio track. I initially asked my son to record the other part but his voice was a bit too high to make it believable so I had to re record last minute but managed it and got everything implemented.
With the second audio log I found it a little tricky to get all the timings right and at the right levels without one seeming to over power the rest.
Audio Log 2
I researched audio recording devices of the era and found the Phonograph. The sound quality is a bit distorted and I noted this and tried to get as close as I could to the sound quality as i could in audacity by using the equalizer and other filters that were available.
When it came to editing the audio logs in audacity there wasn’t a lot to alter for the first script as all i had to do was alter it to make it sound more like it was recording on a phonograph.
First image is the base i used, the second is my phonograph and the third is the phonograph that i based my 3D model on.
i was nervous on the first recording as haven’t recorded in front of anyone before so had to record it a couple of times to make it better.
For the second audio log I had to re-record this because i didn’t have anyone to voice the second character so my son helped me at first and it didn’t sound amazing.
I edited the sounds and mixed a couple together for a scream, I am fairly happy with the sounds that i managed to get as for the generator sound which ended up coming from a sensory bubble machine motor at my daughter’s nursery.
It took a while to get this sound as there were babies and toddlers around so it ended up being a minute and a half recording with about 5 seconds of usable audio so i had to duplicate the track a few times but the sound was fairly monotonous so i managed to get away with it without it sounding odd.
I found the research of the audio equipment and character fairly easy as i already had an idea for a character because of the backstory we created as a team and for the phonograph it seemed to tie in with the the timeline and the effect on the sound seemed to be quite good as we watched a short clip where someone recorded sound on a phonograph using tin foil.
I enjoyed working on this task as i liked the creative process of making these audio logs.