Week 9 of FMP Development
For this final week I spent my time making sure the functionality was working and the blueprints were working which included the spawning of assets, particle systems and portals.
The next nine images show the Heaven Platform after it had been populated, not all the assets are in, the Wolf (Amaterasu) hasn’t been positioned in the cave yet and the portals have not been completed.
The next image was an idea I was toying with, I was always going to have walls on the Heaven and Hell platform but I wasn’t sure how, so I created a dilapidated wall but decided against this as I wanted the platform to flow from heaven to hell as hopefully can be seen in the texturing between the top and bottom of the platform due to the alpha mask I used to create a gradient that blended the two platforms together.
The wolf went through several stages of development too. the first model I did was very basic and didn’t work in the end so I scrapped the model and found a new reference and started again. I used a line tool to basically draw around the reference image and the extruded it and converted it to an editable poly. I then used symmetry and created the two halves of the wolf and joined them together. I attempted to rig it and then add a fur modifier which in the end due to time constraints I had to put on the back burner and I never got time to complete them. The mistake I made was adding the bones and skin modifiers first and then trying to add the texture. I managed to get a good looking fur after several attempts but when I exported the file the fur modifier never came with it.
I was disappointed that I didn’t managed to get it to work how I wanted but in the end I textured it in Photoshop and created two textures for the same model, one for Amaterasu which is white with red markings and one for Tsukanami (the mood god) which is black with blue markings. I do believe I forgot to change the colour of the markings so the mood god wolf is black with red markings. This is not the only error in the game but I counted those as 3 errors and one bug. They do not overly affect the play of the game but I could improve these at a later date.
The next model is my favorite, The gates of heaven. I found a really nice reference and I found it fairly simple to create but I feel they looked stunning, especially when they have the matinee working on them so they open. Even though these gates only open one way which could also be improved they still function. There is a bug here due to the dynamic gravity that I didn’t think was possible due to them being at a 90 degree angle my son found a way (accidentally) of standing on the gates horizontal to the ground while they opened the gates and because the actor is constantly in the trigger box area the gates kept opening and shutting.
At the start of the project there were two ways in which i could create the portals. The first way I tried was to use a master blueprint and add the blueprint functionality to that and then create child blueprints of it and add a node that would allow you to specify where you wanted to teleport too from a specific portal. The downside of this was that you ended up doing a loop of the portals and end up at the wrong portal on the first teleport attempt. I found this unacceptable and looked for another way which is when I came across another YouTube video which demonstrated a way of creating portals using an interface which gave the desired effect. So I created a user interface and a blueprint of a Portal, I added my Archway to the mesh, applied no collision to the box which i used as the portal itself. Once I had done this I worked on the Blueprint and then added a 2D scene Capture to it so you could see through the portal to the other portal.
Before I added all the assets:
After the assets were added (most of them anyway)
wolf research: – Grambo, R. (2008) Wolf. London: A. & C. Black.